Jump to the Application if you have already read this page.
Reports To: Program Director
Location: Boys & Girls Club of White County (Meadowlawn Elementary School)
Primary Function: To provide assistance to youth and help Club Staff promote the Boys & Girls Club Mission.
Key Roles: Essential Job Responsibilities
- Set-up a weekly schedule of your volunteer service hours
- Model appropriate behavior by adhering to all rules and regulations outlined in the Volunteer Code of Conduct and Policies
- Sign in and out using Volunteer Sign-In at the front desk
- Wear Volunteer badge at all times
- Keep Program Director informed of any concerns or problems that may be occurring with a staff member, a club member, a member’s parent(s) or another volunteer
- Report any accidents that have occurred directly to a staff member and make sure staff member fills out an accident report.
- Be a positive, consistent role model for club members
- Enhance programs by providing small group/one-on-one attention to club members
- Have FUN!
Volunteer opportunities at the Boys & Girls Clubs of White County are plentiful and rewarding! By donating your time and influence, you will be serving as a positive role model and presenting a positive influence to our members. Within our program there are many opportunities that suit the talents and desires of all potential volunteers.
Does the Club offer a program that interests you and would allow you to showcase and share your talents? Become a Program Volunteer and commit yourself to supporting and enhancing one of our weekly programs by working in an area with a Lead Staff.
Power Hour is our after school homework help program. We are always in need of volunteers to help members with their homework . For those members in need of extra or more personalized educational assistance, one-on one tutoring opportunities exist. Tutors are asked to commit a minimum of one hour per week for a full school year to meet with a member at a set time determined by the tutor, the member’s guardian and the Club member.
Have an idea for a new program not offered by the Club? Become a Special Interest Volunteer and design and run a program of your very own. All program ideas should be submitted to the Club Director or Program Director, who will assist you in the development of your program.
At the Boys & Girls Clubs of White County we strive to create positive volunteer experience for both the volunteer and the Club. This process is designed to make that happen.
- The Volunteer Info Sheet
- Prospective volunteers complete and return the application to the Boys & Girls Clubs of White County. Applications can be picked up during Club hours or emailed upon request.
- The Background Check
- The continued safety of our Club members is of the utmost importance. Therefore, in keeping with the national policy of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, every adult staff and volunteer member is subject to a criminal background check prior to beginning the volunteer or employment period.
- The Interview
- Applicants will participate in a face-to-face or phone interview with the Program Director in order to gauge the interests and abilities of the individual.
- Short shorts are prohibited
- Clothing with crude or offensive language is not allowed
- Clothing with alcohol, tobacco or drug paraphernalia is prohibited
- Closed toe shoes must be worn at all times
- No sagging shorts or pants (must cover entire buttocks)
- Low cut shirts are prohibited
- Hats are prohibited
- For females, brassieres are required
- Please dress comfortably
CLUB MEMBER BEHAVIORAL/DISCIPLINARY POLICY
Please notify a staff member if you notice a behavioral/disciplinary problem that needs attention. Volunteers should not handle any type of behavioral/disciplinary issues.
RULES OF CONDUCT
Volunteers are expected to follow rules of conduct that will protect the interest and safety of all members, volunteers and staff. The following are only some examples of inappropriate conduct that could lead to disciplinary measures or dismissal:
- The use of Cell Phones is prohibited on the premises. If you choose to bring your cell phone, please ensure that it is turned off or on silent and out of view of club members.
- Do not clump around other volunteers. You are at club to interact with the members, not your peers.
- Theft or inappropriate removal or possession of Boys & Girls Clubs of White County or Meadowlawn
- Elementary School property or that of any volunteer, staff, member or visitor.
- Volunteering under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs and/or illegal or unauthorized possession, distribution, sale, transfer, or use of alcohol or illegal drugs in the volunteer environment.
- Transporting members in your personal vehicle for club or non-club planned activities.
- Having deliberate contact with Club members outside of scheduled business hours (i.e. babysitting or inviting member to your residence).
- Bestowing monetary gifts upon Club members.
- Purchasing clothing or other items for Club members.
- Inappropriate physical contact with a Club member. The following forms of physical contact are prohibited: allowing members to sit on your lap; holding or carrying Club members; hugging; physical means of discipline or retaliation.
- Use of profanity while in the presence of Club members.
- Creating a disturbance on Boys & Girls Club premises, at sponsored activities or in areas which could jeopardize the safety of others.
- Improper use of Club property.
- Lack of cooperation or other disrespectful conduct.
- Verbal altercations with parents, staff, members, or other volunteers.
- Inappropriate use of telephones, computer equipment or systems, mail system, e-mail system, facsimile machines, or other Boys & Girls Club-owned equipment.
- Unauthorized disclosure of Boys & Girls Club proprietary or confidential information.
- Unsatisfactory performance or conduct.
CODE OF CONDUCT
I agree to the following:
- I will accept the function and roles of the staff and accept their guidance and decisions.
- I will be respectful of the mission of the Boys & Girls Club and not do anything that would jeopardize their mission, goals, and vision.
- I will maintain the dignity and integrity of the Club with the public and honor confidential information.
- I have read and will adhere to the dress code.
- I will help club staff with statistical data by using the Sign In/Sign Out Log.
- I will not socialize outside the club with any member of the Boys & Girls Club.
- I will be mindful of what I say when around club members so as not to negatively influence them in any way.
- If I cannot adhere to my volunteer commitment I will notify a staff member.
- I give permission for the Boys & Girls Club to photograph and/or video me for promotional materials.
- I have read and understand my role as a volunteer.
- I will strive to have FUN!
I AGREE TO ABIDE BY THE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES CONTAINED IN THIS VOLUNTEER HANDBOOK. I UNDERSTAND THAT THE POLICIES, PROCEDURES AND BENEFITS CONTAINED IN THIS HANDBOOK MAY BE ADDED TO, DELETED OR CHANGED BY THE CLUB AT ANY TIME. I UNDERSTAND THAT NEITHER THIS HANDBOOK NOR ANY OTHER WRITTEN OR VERBAL COMMUNICATION BY ANY CLUB DIRECTOR OR OTHER CLUB OFFICIAL IS INTENDED TO IN ANY WAY CREATE CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.
I UNDERSTAND THAT MY VOLUNTEER EMPLOYMENT IS AT-WILL, WHICH PERMITS THE CLUB TO TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE. NOTHING IN THIS HANDBOOK IS INTENDED TO GUARANTEE EMPLOYMENT FOR A SPECIFIC DURATION. THE CLUB WILL NOT MODIFY THEIR POLICY OF EMPLOYMENT-AT-WILL IN ANY CASE.
If I have any questions regarding the content or interpretation of this document, I will bring them to the attention of my Program Director.
If you are ready to apply as a volunteer, and you have thoroughly read this page and agree to all policies listed here, you can submit the application below.